Today's Deal: ScotlandsDNA - Will you go bald?
ScotlandsDNA can lay your mind at rest – or not
ScotlandsDNA has launched a new project which deals with young mens’ worst fears.
We aim to discover where in Britain baldness is most prevalent and to do that we are offering a new DNA test to discover the reasons why it is hair today and gone tomorrow. Once we have enough data, we will produce a map of Bald and Balding Britain.
When men take an ancestral DNA test, we can predict their chances of their going bald and thereby put their minds at rest, or not.
Baldness is passed on through your genes. More than 80% of British men’s chances of going bald is due to inheritance (other causes come from environmental factors).
The DNA of baldness is complicated but it turns out that the X chromosome, which is inherited by men from their mothers, is very influential. This lends some scientific truth to the old wives’ tale that advises men anxious about going bald to look at their mother’s side.
But our scientists have turned over another folk tale. Bald men may be thought sexy but in fact baldness comes about as their sex drive declines. As men age, testosterone is converted into dihydrotestosterone and this causes hair follicles to shrink and become dormant. So if women really do think that bald men are sexy, then they had better count on making the running.
Choose from our Chromo Complete test for men or for women:
- Chromo Complete for men, £200 (was £250)
- Chromo Complete for women, £170 (was £220)
Once purchased, you will receive an email with your voucher, and once you have redeemed it, you will be sent a saliva collection kit. Follow the instructions and then send your sample to our lab at the address supplied. It is very easy to do.
On average, results take about 8-12 weeks to turn around from receipt of your saliva sample at the lab, depending on the DNA quality and complexity of the result.
You will receive your results online and they will feature interactive maps, historical narratives and illustrative graphics. If you would like printed copies of your fatherline, motherline, your continental-level ancestry, the Red-Head test and the Blue Eyes test, you can order these online once your account is set up.
- Save £50 on a Chromo Complete test for men or for women
- Trace the origins of your fatherline (men only) and motherline ancestry
- Discover your recent ancestral mix and how much European, Native American, Asian or African heritage you carry in your genes
- Find out if you have any of the red-head gene variants
- Learn about your eye colour genotype with the new Blue Eyes test
- Answer your question – will I go bald ?
The Small Print
- Vouchers expire 29th June 2015.
- Vouchers are not valid in conjunction with any other discounts or offers.
- Please allow up to 24 hours for your voucher to be activated.
- Please allow up to 7 working days from redemption date for delivery of your saliva collection unit.
- Please refer to the full list of terms and conditions (http://www.scotlandsdna.com/terms-and-conditions)