Join the discussion (0 comments) Local Chatting
Today's Deal: The Christmas Rose / Helleborus Niger Supplied as Bare Roots
- Known as The Christmas Rose and among the first plants to bloom as winter fades.
- Can be planted in tubs and containers.
- Supplied as Grade I bare roots.
The Small Print
- Your contract of supply is with Mont Rose of Guernsey Ltd.
- Items will be despatched within 28 days, unless advised otherwise.
- Multiple orders may be despatched separately.
Among the first plants to bloom as winter fades, its creamy-white flowers herald the start of a new season.
But the white, bowl-shaped flowers are well worth waiting for, brightening up those dark winter days. The flowers appear on short stems, are sometimes flushed with pink, and unusually for hellebores, are usually upturned rather than nodding. They last for two to three months, and the handsome evergreen foliage is deeply cut and dark green.
One of the earliest flowering plants, this is best planted in groups at the front of a partially shady mixed border, or beneath deciduous shrubs among spring-flowering bulbs. Both its blooms and glossy evergreen foliage are perfect for flower arranging. It is truly an evergreen favourite.
In former times, hellebores were planted close to cottage doors to prevent evil spirits from crossing the threshold.
Supplied as Grade I bare roots.